Here we go again…
The bold titles are accessible to me (or will be soon) through Funiroll or other legal means, while the underlined titles are part of the resolution to “vary my genres”. (Of course, this is only what I know as of this post. The special debut of Mahou Shoujo Ore made me push this post forward, and so designations for streaming sites are bound to change for a lot of these shows.) If a title’s missing from here, it’s either:
- a confirmed Amazon grab,
- a confirmed Netflix grab,
- not available in my region by other legal means,
- if you put it in front of me, I’d probably run away screaming (or I just decided I had too much to watch) or
- it’s a subsequent season to something I haven’t watched previous seasons to.
In order of hype:
- Binan Koukou Chikyuu Boueibu HAPPY KISS!: As much as I was disappointed by the OVA that signalled the end of the LOVE! boys, I put on a brave face, say, “I’m going down with this franchise,” and decided I’d look forward to this with bated breath.
- Boku no Hero Academia 3: I don’t think I need to say anything else about this show that hasn’t been said already, aside from “this show gets better with every successive season”.
- Golden Kamuy: Not only is this show going to touch on Sapporo and its culture, apparently there’s a moment in the manga where a bear rips a man’s face off…? Sounds gory, but right up my alley.
- Mahou Shoujo Ore: This one wins out of the two magical girl shows this upcoming season because it’s a comedy and it’s one of those rare gender-benders where a girl becomes a bo…er, buff man. I’m also somewhat familiar with the source material.
(But what is up with that old English localisation name? Magical Girl Boy?!)
- Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru (Dances with the Dragons): I signed up for this show back when it was announced a few seasons ago, because physics spells in a show with a name like that sounds like it could really go places (even if physics was never my strong suit).
- Caligula: Not only is Ume-chan in this, it sounds like an (at least moderately) good game, even if the names of some characters hints at this being a world centred around Vocaloid.
- Lupin III Part V: I don’t care that Lupin’s in France. What I do care about is that he’s taking selfies and his supporting gal this time, Ami Enan, is a hacker. Hopefully there’ll be more for Ami and Fujiko than just sex appeal…
- Mahou Shoujo Site: Unfortunately this one seems like it’s an Amazon snatch, but on the off chance I do get to see it I’ll know some of what’s happening, because I am familiar with the first volume or so of the manga. It’s kinda edgy though, so it’s more likely to be badly handled or controversial.
- Hinamatsuri: Sounds like a fun comedy.
- Cutey Honey Universe: Cutey Honey is known to be one of the bigger examples of the archetype of a magical girl, even if she’s known for completely being in her birthday suit during her transformation. However, this one seems like a Netflix or an Amazon grab due to the Netflix grab of Devilman Crybaby.
- Nil Admiral no Tenbin: Let’s see if lightning strikes twice with these otome adaptions…
- Piano no Mori: I’ve heard of this manga before…in very vague terms. It’s likely an Amazon grab (kinda like Banana Fish…?) but if I can watch it, I’ll have my previous experience as a pianist to back me up.
- Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai: It’s got Ume-chan, plus it can fill the “vary my genres” quota.
- 3D Kanojo (Real Girl): The girl I don’t like the look of, but at least the guy (Tsuttsun) is hot…plus this could very well fill the “vary my genres” resolution.
- Creatures Family Days (Shiyan Pin Jiating): It’s a Chinese work with all the hallmarks so I don’t trust it much, but this is possibly the only Chinese coproduction/work I ever liked the look of even marginally, so I’d better give it a shot. At least I have the dog boy as incentive, if anything.
For short series:
- Omae wa Mada Gunma wo Shiranai (You Don’t Know Gunma Yet): I checked out the first chapter of this, and…it actually seems pretty good! To reiterate what I told Plyasm on the Aniblogger Coalition Discord chat, “If it looks like a tourist trap, then it’s right up my alley.” Unfortunately(?), the one guy known for Black Clover‘s Asta (Gakuto Kajiwara) has signed on as Nori Kamitsuki…the straight man protagonist! I wonder if Kajiwara will be able to nail it, because I always get the impression Kamitsuki was a “quiet, mumbly/whimpering everyman” sort of guy.
- Nobunaga no Shinobi: Anegawa Ishiyama-hen: There’s never that much competition for the short series slot, is there…? Anyways, I’ve watched 2 series of it so it wouldn’t hurt to watch another. Hey, at least anything’s better than that MahoYome short series…
- Akkun to Kanojo: What’s up with all these romances this season? Strangely, when people think about tsunderes, they think of Asuka or Taiga and not a boy, so I wonder if Atsushi (the titular “Akkun”) will bust that myth?
So, which of these shows are you interested in? Are there any series I should pick up?