Well, both my collabs from last season got extended, so it sure doesn’t feel like the summer anime season yet…
Reminder that this is from greatest to least hype and if there’s something missing from the list, it’s probably because it’s known to be taken by Amazon or Netflix/it’s a subsequent season to something I haven’t watched/I have no interest in it. Anything bolded is with Funiroll or other services I can access (as of this post – there may be more shows later), and anything underlined is part of the New Year’s resolutions.
The spring wrap-up post will have to wait another week, since Boueibu Happy Kiss finishes in 2 weeks and Rokuhoudou in 1…
- On the long form side, it’s Boku no Hero Academia 3…can’t say anything but “hype” as it continues.
- On the short form side, the one show I have left is Nobunaga no Shinobi Anegawa Ishiyama-hen. Hmm…BnHA and it always seem to stick together for some reason. Plus, why is Nobunaga no Shinobi popular enough to exist this long? Nobody’s heard of it but me and Negative Primes…
That leaves me enough space for 4 standard-length episodes from this lot:
- Muhyo and Roji’s Bureau of Supernatural Investigation (Muhyo and Roji’s BSI is the manga nickname for it, but I just call it Muhyo and Roji’s) – Whoo! A manga I’ve actually finished for once! Unfortunately, I finished it years ago, so I’ll have forgotten a lot. Since it’s from 2004, I wonder if anyone’s going to use updated tech in it, though…? Also, I don’t care if it’s from Deen – they’ve produced some great stuff lately, so they’ll be likely to continue their streak of hits.
- Hataraku Saibou (Cells at Work!) – I’ve heard good things about this manga. It’s been a while since I studied anything related to science (outside computer science) though, so forgive any blunders I make about that stuff.
- Yume Oukoku to Nemureru 100 Nin no Ouji-sama (Yume 100) – While the Boueibu game was still available, I tried playing games called Yume 100 and Idolish7…but didn’t get very far with them. The latter’s had its turn in the spotlight, so now it’s the former’s turn!
- Satsuriku no Tenshi (Angels of Death) – “Oh hey, after that mostly-panned Junji Ito Collection we could try again with the horror…There’s a show called Satsuriku no Tenshi? Okay, let’s go with that,” said nobody ever. (Happy Sugar Life is kinda outta my league for all the wrong reasons.)
- Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes – It’s a scrappy tourist trap show(?) and a mystery…but mystery shows tend to be hit-or-miss when they’re seasonal. I mean, the last big mystery show on the seasonal circuit was Erased/Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, which was 2 years ago now!
- Lord of Vermilion – It’s an urban fantasy with blood powers. After Kekkai Sensen, I’m willing to hedge my bets on this one, although it’s based on a card-collecting game and those can be big hits (Touken Ranbu) or big misses (Luck and Logic).
- Tsukumogami Kashimasu – The pickings looked a little sparse, but I do like the designs from Kigurumi Guardians creator Lily Hoshino so it’s worth a shot.
- Back Street Girls (Gokudolls) – After Mahou Shoujo Ore, I could do with less crass jokes. However, I can’t stay away from a good comedy, so again, it’s worth a shot.
- Phantom in the Twilight – My soft spot for 2D boys shows again…However, anything involving the word “twilight” in the title should be taken with a grain of salt, especially if it’s the only word there…
- Angolmois – I’m worried this will be snatched by Amazon, but I’ll put it down anyway since Kado was in a similar boat (streams on Amazon on Japan and yet is on other channels as well). I’m actually scoring really well with historical shows as of late, so that’s why Angolmois is worth a shot even though I’m not really that interested in shows like Sengoku Musou (which is the closest equivalent to this I can think of, that show’s OVA Sanada no Shou was an absolute bore). Not to mention the main girl Teruhi seems to be a character I might like.
- Senjuushi – American guns with silly names like “Springfield”? The story’s set after a nuclear war? Uh, no thanks. The only redeeming features of this are that it vaguely resembles Touken Ranbu‘s setup (pretty boys are part of the Touken Ranbu-style package), plus Ume used to be here as Ieyasu…before he got replaced by Maeno, that is.
- Planet With – Ume used to be here…but even if he’s not here anymore, this still works with my resolutions.
…if this season is anything like summer 2017, then I’ll probably keep looking further afield until I find something I like, although this list is big as it is so I don’t think I’ll need to go that far.
Summer looks a little light due to all the Amazon shows and all the shows I’m not interested in – Shinji Takamatsu’s on Grand Blue and I love Shinji Takamatsu humour (so long as it’s not Gintama-level crass jokes, that is), so it was annoying to toss that off the list. Plus, I should probably move on from being sad about Ume-chan, to be honest, but I can’t help it when I’ve tried supporting him as much as I can for a bit over 3 years.
So, is there anything you think I’d like in that new season of offerings, or anything you disagree with?