No rest for the weary, eh?
Gotta watch my KyoAni show for OWLS, Yuki Yuna for a watching challenge I signed up for (on a whim), finish almost overdue library books, do my usual real life stuff and my weekly post reservoir has dried up…and so’s my motivation, because it’s directed towards all that stuff instead.
Enough about how busy I am though. Here’s the colour key:
- Red violet = Le me (birb lover)
- Maroon = Moya (Nezuko stan #2)
- Blue = Astral (Nezuko stan #1)
- Green = Plyasm (Matsuoka as Beetlejuice and Inosuke stan)
- Magenta = A proofreading Aria from the future
- What are your general thoughts on this episode?[Mandatory]
When I saw Karandi had “The Battle of the Screamers Begins” as her subtitle…I did a little mental fist pump. I think that tells you a lot about this episode. (Also the humour was mostly on the terrible side…)
I actually don’t agree with Aria here. I thought this episode was hilarious, although maybe that’s because I’m a guy and identify more with the shouty idiots. Inosuke is hilarious and I’m excited to see more of him.
The three screamy shounen were obnoxious (especially towards the end, though it was really just crazy Zenitsu and Tanjiro on the defense), but I thought their team dynamics worked out surprisingly nicely.
Comedy gold alongside good character developments, in a downtime for the plot.
- I swear yall are crazy for not laughing at this. It’s hilarious! The timings, the things they say, the artstyle changes, it was all great! Especially when Zenitsu got super jealous and you just see how detailed his animations got all of a sudden.
- (It seems the humour was polarising, huh…)
2. Did the episode fit your expectations, and in which ways did it differ from it?(If it does) [Mandatory]
This was a great episode. Best buddies forever! (Zenitsu doesn’t count.)
I thought the mansion was going to be yet another demonic one! Guess I totally missed the “wisteria” hint. I was surprised by how little happened, but didn’t really mind either (half-serious teenage boys screeching is better than their battle cries).
Yes, I almost forgot how good the in-betweens were for Kimetsu no Yaiba and how funny they were.
3. What do you expect to happen from here on out?(and why) [Mandatory]
We see these guys work together (?) for once. More demon butts kicked. Lather, rinse, repeat. The end.
I wanna see our bois really fight some demons!
They will collaborate in fun and more unexpected ways in future battles, and Zenitsu lusting after Nezuko would be a bad ongoing gag. It might be interesting to see the team disintegrate in the future due to their differences, but I’m sure they’ll stick together for most of the series. Is butterfly girl going to join the team??
Something something spoilers.
4. Which scene got the most reaction out of you? (If any at all)
Tanjiro used Headbutt! It’s super effective!…Seriously, is his head that hard???
I loved the little mildly psychotic chuckles out of Inosuke. Matsuoka’s doing a fantastic job bringing that character to life!
Zenitsu asking about the box in the quiet of the night, and Inosuke keeping silent during it. A scene where implied trust is subtly unsettled…well, until Nezuko actually comes out and Zenitsu gets disdainfully crazy.
Almost the entire episode was on point. I laughed at all the jokes.
- I find it interesting that even normies understand Kasugai crows, so there’s a 2nd scene (if I can get away with that).
- His head is no brains, just bone.
- Love the part where the crow goes “ke-ke-ke” at Tanjiro.
- The head butt scene is doubly funny after Aria’s comment about how Tanjiro learns to “use his head.”
- Inosuke just kept silent because he’s too stupid and his brains got fried after seeing a girl demon.(Which he forgot about)
4. Which character did you like the most this episode? Have they done anything in particular/changed?
Tanjiro again. You wouldn’t know this since I try not to mention it, but I have sisters. I’m the 2nd of my family, so I don’t get filial piety (that belief Tanjiro has about the eldest son doing everything for the family) and yet recognise that “You want my food? I’ll give it to you!” thing (and so on, so forth), since my older sister does that too…
Meanwhile, I’m the one who asks for food 90% of the time, so…uh…
Inosuke for sure. He’s just so crazy and has way too much energy and competitive spirit for his own good… or the good of literally anyone around him, basically.
Giyuu… I never liked him in the first episode, but he makes a good homeroom teacher.
- (After thinking about it for a bit, I realised “za crow” is basically “zakuro”, or “pomegranate” in Japanese. So you’ve just made a Japanese pun, Ply. Be proud of yourself. (kinda sarcastic))
5. What’s the high point of the episode for you and why? [Mandatory]
The fact we didn’t have to see what happened during the times the animated faces/transitions came up. I can only assume a lot of screaming happened in between…
I’m just enjoying the weird friendship between Tanjiro and Inosuke…
Taisho High School. Bread Nezuko is precious (I suspect they invented the bakery set-up just to fit that scene in).
All the comedic moments. I laughed a ton, enjoyed it a lot and it was just generally done well.
- Oh yea, gotta mention the transitions. Great transitions! They are going to make good loading screens if a Kimetsu no Yaiba game ever comes out. *winking at Japanese game developers*
7. What can be improved in this episode and why? (a.k.a low point) [Mandatory]
I miss Taisho Secrets already…also, I think Urokodaki makes a better sensei in the alternate universe, simply because that’s the role he plays in the actual story as well.
I dunno. I thought it was a pretty solid episode, all things considered.
Nezuko is cute, yes, but the whole cute girl = possession to fight over joke is so last-generation shounen.
For me, not really anything to be improved upon.
- This high school thing is actually adapted from a certain part in the manga where they had a reimagining of characters in high school. And yes, that part replaced the Taisho Secrets for a little. I loved the animated version.
8. Pick a situation from this episode. If you were put in this situation, how would you have handled it?
Not a lot actually happened this episode… so that’s a tough question.
If I were Nezuko, I would kick Zenitsu while he fights Tanjiro over her.
- Don’t get me wrong, I really don’t hate Zenitsu, especially after his unexpectedly early character redemption. But yes, I really would give him a good kick.
- (thinks about how she once talked to Astral and Ply on Discord by going “*kicks Ply*” and “*kicks both of them*”) Uh…yeah, Moya…
9. Most beautiful scene?(screenshot) [Mandatory]
I can’t resist a good meme opportunity, so I changed my screenshot a bit:
If I see anyone making a pose like this, I go for my trusty photo-editing software.
Oops, now that I notice it, I think I may have hit space once too many times between “like” and “one”…
I think this screenshot really sums up all three of the characters in a pretty succinct nutshell. You’ve got the angry one, the clueless one, and the one who looks like he’s dealing with hemorrhoids.
Pretty family crest.
Beetlejuice laughing devilishly about his newfound job of being a gymnast, colourised, 2019.
(By the way when I was young I could almost do this, just not so much that I can put my head through my legs. Also, even now I can still put my legs on my head, yay)
- To be honest, it took me a bit to realise the “angry one” in Astral’s image wasn’t actually Inosuke…Also, there’s finally a reference Ply’s making that I can recognise! (It’s Anime in History.)
10. In 10 words, summarise what you want to say about this episode. (A good joke question?) [Could also be a haiku or other things of that creative nature, Mandatory]
It’s down time for our
Demon Slayer dudes (plus gal).
Someone give Inosuke some ice cream or something, he needs to chill.
The sweet old lady and “umu” doctor are very underappreciated.
Settling down and cracking some hilarious jokes…and some ribs.
- …Not that I wanted yukata fanservice. Even though ripped 15 (i.e. Inosuke) and 16 (i.e. Tanjiro) year olds are more legal candidates for husbando than, say, Bell from DanMachi being a proper harem lead (he’s 14…!), I feel kinda weird calling Inosuke a potential candidate for husbando, but the intended demographic of girls around that age can take ‘im. Just for comparison, my husbando En is 18, so I skew higher than that. (I feel old by admitting that, though…)
- Aria turning down fanservice? What is this timeline?
- It’s Anglophone cultural standards of maturity at work here, not interdimensional travel. Incidentally, yukata fanservice is something Boueibu specialises in thanks to collabs with Ooedo Onsen Monogatari (a hot spring theme park in Odaiba), so I have the fanservice I need here and here.
It’s time for an Aniblogger Secret! Sorry, but I couldn’t find anyone to tag-team with, so I’m doing this solo.
I don’t think anyone’s counted but me (since I’m basically the only one keeping this collab going at this point), but Ply missed 5 episodes while dropping off the map. Specifically, he skipped eps. 6 – 10.
…Well, that’s everything. There were a few revelations on our part and the anime’s, so what did you think was the most surprising thing covered in this post?