If it’s not specified, the time period covered in this post is from the 20th of January 2020 to the 24th of February 2020.
Other People’s Reads
It wouldn’t be a round-up post without them. However, since I scour people’s archives on a regular basis, these may not even be from the right time period…
- Ty’s Hidden Gems: Astra Lost in Space by…well, Ty-chama (Watashi wa Bucho!!) – I didn’t know Ty had a segment for “hidden gem” anime.
- Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! Helps Us Crusty Adults Tap Into Our Childhood by Jenn (Welcome to Hell Zone!) – Eizouken is full of childish wonder and that’s great.
- New Game! and the Trouble with Women in Tech by Elizabeth (Little Anime Blog) – Like the post above this one, I discovered this post because of Eizouken. It’s because I’ve been there and done that that the post speaks to me and I hope it does to you, too.
Fumetsu No Anata e (To Your Eternity); first impressions and humanity of something inhuman by 012Mashi – Now that Fumetsu no Anata e is getting an anime (although I’m nervous as to how said anime will turn out…), it’s time to pull out the relevant posts.
Are gacha game adaptations the next front in bad anime? by Steve/Oncasteve at Everything is Marshmallows – The presence of anime adapted from a gacha game is staggering, prhaps even more so than isekai. The real question posed is: how long will it last…?
(Then again, I guess I’m the scourge of the earth for actually liking some of these things, so what do I know about this topic…?)
Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious: The Last Word by Dewbond (Shallow Dives in Anime) – As you might know already, Shinchou Yuusha was my favourite of fall 2019 despite its rather pedestrian (but still very conclusive) ending. Of course, this means I won’t hesitate to link quality work on it in thes round-ups and this is no exception.
Lord El-Melloi II’s Case Files Episodes 2 and 3 Review by 7Mononoke (Anime Rants) – I’m including this here for future reference, since this way I can start compiling posts to read now that I’m actually going through and comprehending some of the Fate/ series (something I thought was basically impossible prior to planning the project).
- The Material Construction of the Anime School Uniform by Remy Fool (The Lily Garden) – Remy seems to have wandered off again, but it seems he did briefly grace us with this before he left.
- Otterly Internalised Oppression by Karleen (Coherent Cats) – Turns out a random choice by Ikuhara has a whole lot of nasty implications to it. Who knew?
- Character Analysis: Yuki Nagato by David Alessio/The Overage Otaku (Confessions of an Overage Otaku) – I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone connect Yuki Nagato with Rei Ayanami and Motoko Kusanagi outside of the fact they’re anime gals…and I don’t think I’ll ever see that combo again.
#AniTwitWatches (School Days)
Fate/Stay Project (Fate/Zero, Unlimited Blade Works, El-Melloi II’s Case Files OVA)
Circumstances caused me to push this back a week and split the episodes 2/6 over two posts (rather than the usual 4/4) – you can clearly see where based on the titles that indicate that situation – so I’m going to finish on April 13th at this rate (two weeks later than expected) if I don’t end up rejecting Ilya for its fanservice.
- All Fall Down
- Falling Behind
- People Die When They Are Killed
- Halved Again
- More Questions Than Answers
- Rin Was (Probably) Wrong About This Archer
- Shirou Keeps His Ideals
- Let the Mysteries Begin!
Winter 2020 First Impressions
- Plunderer (Finally) Joins the Fray! (Plunderer, Uchitama, Case Files of Jeweler Richard and Hanako-kun)
- 6 Anime for the Price of 4 (A3, ARP Backstage Pass, Hatena, Infinite Dendrogram, Destructive God and In/Spectre)
- Lessons from Kado
- Why I Chose Cats and Dogs Over a Destructive God and Hanako-kun
- It’s the Little Things That Count: About a Single Moment in In/Spectre – Basically, In/Spectre got me thinking about whether Harlequin novels have a reputation for being trashy in Japan and whether they are recognised under that name…
- Magical Girls, Media and Maturation [OWLS Feb. ’20 Blog Tour]
- Does the Gender Matter in Correlation to the Plot?: The Case of Isekai/Virtual World Protagonists – I forget if I was trying to emulate an LN title with this post’s title, but it does explain itself, doesn’t it?
- Death Note One-Shot (2020): Taking It Too Far…? – Death Note in 2020? It’s more likely than you think.
- The Endoroid: I was first introduced to it in August 2016, according to the Tumblr post I made at the time (see tweet for link), so basically I’ve been waiting for him to come home (in Touken Ranbu parlance) over 4 years. He escaped me last time I saw him (later that year), so I went against my miserly instincts when I wandered into a shop that sold merch, checked up what number Nendoroid En was (as you can see in the tweet, he’s #607) and when I looked at the boxes in front of where I was standing, #607 was right in front of me! (He was at the bottom of the stack though, so I did have to move some boxes.)…He did dig a sizeable hole into my wallet and I forgot to use the discount I had through the anime club, but otherwise I have no regrets.
- Other merch: As part of my attempt to capitalise on the discount (although I ultimately forgot to get it, as mentioned earlier), I got a blind Hypnosis Mic fabric badge (Jyuto, who’s…alright, but there are better characters). A subsequent attempt yielded a gachapon Jakurai keychain/figure (it has a little stand and the capsules were clear, so I searched until I got what I wanted) and a blind Tonbokiri Nitotan rubber strap (Tonbokiri is alright but not the one I was going for). On a separate occasion, I snagged a blind Niitengo Bungou Stray Dogs clip (Kyoka, again alright but would’ve preferred a dude instead) and Orefuro vol. 1, which I’d missed getting at one point (I’d seen some of the series in my scanlation days, but there was one character I don’t remember from the anime…so maybe I didn’t get too far). I honestly thought the clips were keychains, but practicality only helps me justify my purchase.
- The reason why I burn holes into my pocket despite the fact I explained I have no way to replenish it is a superstition that for every job interview I get, I spend as an incentive to save more later. I also like to take my chances at least once with every sale/discount I see on discs, manga and merch plus the first encounter with a new store if it has merch I’d like to get, but I do get reckless at times if I know items are limited (as merch tends to be).
- Physical stores: These escapades only helped me appreciate physical stores more, even if online’s where the money is at. You know exactly what you’re getting that way, even if you miss out on online-store-only bonuses.
Coming up next…
- I don’t think there is anything coming up next, since all my upcoming important stuff is happening outside this space. The coronavirus massively messed up my schedule so you might see me around more than usual in the next month.