AMQ’s starting to mess with my brain…
Here’s a weird story: I start Rolling Girls for the week. A bit after the OP, I stop and do other stuff and when I want to get back to it, the internet goes out. It’s about 12 am at this point, so I go to sleep to resolve the problem in the morning. After setting my alarm for 7:30 am so I can fix it up, I remember I can use phone data to mention where the post is (or rather, isn’t) at 1 am (the internet is still out at this point).
In that weird state between dreams and being awake after finishing my delay announcement tweet, I swear I can hear Sis Puella Magica! (or the correct tune for it with the lyrics slightly mangled, like what happens when you replay a song in your head too much), which just so happens to be a song that appears in the weekly AMQ as either an insert song of Madoka Magica or the OP of Magia Record.
…but am I going to be summoned by Kyuubey to become a magical girl?
Who knows? I sure don’t.
Anyways, to the main event:
- Just to get this straight: Yukina is the one that looks like Khun from Tower of God. Hibiki Ai “hibikeeps it real”, according to planet_Jane’s terrible subs…and gas mask girl? Do we even know her name at this stage, or is my memory just being stupid?
- That’s a PreCure in the background! (Or what looks like one!)
- I noticed Nozomi’s motorbike is a Kamasaki (Kawasaki).
- I saw a blonde person in the background which kind of looked like Hideri from Blend S, but we only see them from behind, so I have no clue whether that actually is a Hideri or a girl…
- The standard dialect of Japanese comes from the Yamanote district of Tokyo. Therefore you would expect Tokyoites to have basically no accent if speaking in Japanese to them.
- Futatsu no tou (two towers) = Futou (Twin Towers), it seems. Sounds redundant in English.
- It really is Comiket! It’s too bad COVID cancelled the recent ones…
- Chi = gas mask girl.
- This sort of episode (the “person loses thing, others find it”) is the most frustrating when it shows up in Western TV shows – particularly cartoons, but you see a variant of it in the Amazing Race as well, with things like the infamous unrolling haybales challenge…that is, if you know how said thing was lost…it’s the type of thing that I’d yell at my TV for, when I was a kid.
- Today’s wall menu includes tare dango (Google seems to say they’re also known as mitarashi dango, which is a much more familiar name to me), hanami dango, sakura dango, matcha dango, takoyaki, taiyaki and mizu youkan (type of jelly-like dessert).
- Shigyo’s crew must be really nice if they made her a thousand cranes…Come to think of it, the eye style reminds me of Shirobako. I think that’s what’s bugging me despite having not watched it…Update: Apparently, the truth is the character designer is the same guy who did Flip Flappers’s character design.
- It’s a Roomba! At Kaminarimon!
- There’s a whale!…and the Roomba keeps distracting me…
- Okay, so now we know Chiaya is gas mask girl…Just making sure I got everything straight.
- *shakes fist* Damn Roomba!…but did Nozomi have to vomit when she realised she lost the Moonlight Stone…?
- Ooh! Speculation time: Chiaya is Haruka’s daughter. That would make the hair colours make sense….Whoa! Same flower ornament! I was right on the money.
- So the nicknames of Nozomi, Yukina and Ai are “Nonsuke”, “Yukippe” and “U-tan” respectively. Got it.
- LOL, that Roomba is real cutesy. Also, the cats (?) on people’s heads are a cute touch too.
- One of the rules of chopstick etiquette is not to stab things with them, as Ai did.
- The symbols on Noriko’s shirt seem to match the Konami code, but I can’t see a B or an A…yet.
- *shakes fist again* Damn Roomba!
- I think Chiaya is capable of reading people’s (and birds’) minds. That’s how she got the comment about the red “bushy bush”.
- Aki (had to check up her name on Wikipedia, but I can’t believe I didn’t pick up on her name’s Akihabara pun earlier!) is obsessed with Rick, LOL. Likewise, Ryuunosuke Akutabi seems to be a play on Ryuunosuke Akutagawa.
- Oh! So Akaru is the elf (fairy?) girl from earlier.
- *yells* Garm, you stupid bird!…okay, I take that back.
- *mock tears* Goodbye, Rick. It was nice knowing you.
- There seems to be a sign on the phone booth (…man, I kind of miss phone booths already) saying “urgent recruitment” (急募).
- This, in a sense, is a story about breaking free of the things that tie you to a certain place, although you may check in with said things every so often. Am I right?
- I think Momiyama might have something to do with the Momiage Hammers…hmm…