I revealed some of my picks already, so it’s time to make a full list!
Now that the subscription means I don’t have to wait a week on some anime, I’m making my list now (so then I can focus on finishing both my AWC monthly and simulcasts…from spring and summer…in time for the new batch). I have a break which runs until October’s start, but being under lockdown for several months means it doesn’t feel like a break…
As usual, this list goes from most hype to least. If you don’t see an anime here, it’s either 1) a theatrical release (even though I can access some movies now, the anime movie release schedule is even less certain than it used to be), 2) something that just doesn’t excite me enough to warrant a spot (this list is a lot longer than the past 2 seasons, after all) or 3) stuck behind a paywall.
All licensing/listing info is current as of this post and is subject to change – I’m not going to update this post once it goes live. Underline is Crunchyroll and bold is Funimation and friends (AnimeLab, Wakanim etc.).
Bring on the hype!
- HypMic – Rhyme Anima – The one and only. I’ve been concerned that it’s not going to show up on the Funimation and friends side, because it’s one of the anime postponed from summer which hasn’t yet, even though it was announced in December 2019 it will end up on that side (if it surfaces in the English legal streaming world at all – some of the videos, notably the 2nd PV, have been region-locked)…That’s one reason why I keep talking about it. Another, of course, is to drum up interest in it. I did hint I had an avatar change planned back in January, but the COVID delay means I can finally unveil it in time for October 2…
yes, my mentioning it here means it’s meant to match this.
- Golden Kamuy 3
- Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle/Maou-jou de Oyasumi – Tried the manga (from a Viz sampler) and it’s good. About as good as ‘Tis Time for “Torture”, Princess or better, so it better live up to my expectations.
- Moriarty the Patriot – I know Mel is a fan of this series, so I’m being positive about this one too.
- I’m Standing on a Million Lives/100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru – I’m genuinely interested in how this series will challenge viewers. It doesn’t hurt that I can get it on Magazine Pocket and via my local bookstore (once COVID allows me to for the latter).
- Ikebukuro West Gate Park – I don’t know about the source material, but is it just me or is that graffiti and city aesthetic suddenly becoming huge…? Between IWGP, HypMic and possibly even Akudama Drive, there’s several anime like that this season.
- Taiso Samurai – I wonder if this gymnast will go back in time…? Oh well, even if he doesn’t, it still gives me hope for a Moon Land adaption one day.
- Akudama Drive – This one is anime original, so I have less faith in it than the others. Then again, there’s Ume involved.
- Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World/Kimi to Boku no Saigo no Senjou, Aruiwa Sekai ga Hajimaru Seisen – Magic vs. science Romeo and Juliet. It sounds like it should have been done before, so it could suck or it could be great.
- Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst – That name is a bit of a horror to type, but I haven’t seen Naoto Hosoda since Hataraku Maou-sama (not to my memory)…and I love Hataraku Maou-sama, as you may already know.
- Tonikaku Kawaii/Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You – Romances really seem to be losing these days, y’know? I have minimal experience with Hayate from my days reading scanlations, so I dunno if this will be any good, but I’ve heard good buzz around the source.
- Majo no Tabitabi/Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina – This and the next 2 entries are mostly interchangeable (in their positions on this post) LN adaptions. This sounds like Kiki’s Delivery Service, one of the first Ghibli movies I clearly remember watching.
- Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear – Can an anime be powered by the efforts of “cute girls and cute bears” alone? For me, no, so this is going to have to prove itself. However, the one ticket this has into my heart is 029, the illustrator of Hataraku Maou-sama, did the character design for this originally.
- By the Grace of the Gods/Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko – Isekai iyashikei? It sounds…alright. I got burnt on the If It’s For My Daughter… anime though (based on what I heard about it going all Usagi Drop) and generally isekai iyashikei, such as Bookworm, don’t fare too well on my rankings, so I’m treading carefully with this.
- Noblesse – Manhwa here to ruin my life again(…?) I haven’t watched the OVAs, so all I know is that the art is kinda pretty…(then again, aren’t vampires always meant to look attractive for some reason or another? *shrugs*)
- Jujutsu Kaisen – Dropped the source manga back in the days where it was just beginning. This anime is probably going to make me regret that decision…
- Kamisama ni Natta Hi/The Day I Became a God – Mostly this is advertised as being a Key reunion…but I don’t care about Key…?
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2020) – Won’t see the original until the anime club runs it later this week so until then, I’m going to keep it low on this list.
- Ochikobore Fruit Tart – One of the postponed anime. I don’t think I’ll need to go that far this season, but you never know what might be good. For some reason, I get HiDive vibes from this one.
- Munou na Nana – Toshiki Masuda’s in the cast. It sounds like it should be up my alley, as an anime about superpowers, but surprisingly, the art doesn’t look that interesting (despite there being one bishonen I’m interested in and he happens to be an ice-wielding narcissist…
I don’t like narcissist-types all that much, so go figure) and I just don’t get the same “I wanna watch this!” I get from other anime about superpowers…so I guess I’ll just have it here for Masuda, then.
To catch up on
- DanMachi s3
- Hanyou no Yashahime
- Tsukiuta s2
- With a Cat and Dog, Every Day is Fun/Inu to Neko Docchimo Katteru to Mainichi Tanoshii – I’m neither a cat person nor a dog person, so I can see the benefits of both…and that’s where this anime comes in.
So what are you guys all keeping an eye on for fall? I know I’m a bit early, but I have a lot to catch up on and people are slowly starting to get restless about the new anime on the horizon…