- These random narration scenes are meant to be ethereal, but…if it’s just narration over snowy scenes, it can get boring after a while.
- Why does small!Yuichi remind me of…Syaoran from CCS…?
- Did Ayu become addicted to taiyaki like this…? (LOL, wut.)
- If Kanon got done over again, like how Higurashi was initially…I wonder if the characters’ eyes wouldn’t take up half their faces anymore…? (LOL)
- Did Yuichi seriously meet all of these girls in his youth? I’d believe you on the cousin, but not every one of these 5 girls…
- Konnyaku revenge! We need an auu counter, people…not just an uguu one.
- I…think Makoto and Yuichi’s comedy is starting to grow on me. The rest, however, stays fairly neutral.
- If there were a modern Kanon, I bet Yuichi would get bored after a while and then pull out his phone, leading to a sound smack on the cheek from Nayuki…LOL.
- One of the background characters looks like the girl from Clannad…(I forgot her name, but the one brunette with a bob). Update: Nagisa. That’s the one.
- Oh, it just occurred to me that it’s Akiko (autumn) and Nayuki (winter). Is there a summer and spring to match…?
- “Oh boy, you’ll get fat.” – I feel like people would be more offended by this throwaway comment these days more than they would have in 2006 (thinking about “body positivity” and all that)…
- Yuichi’s face kind of reminds me of Itsuki and Kyon (from Haruhi Suzumiya’s series).
- These dream segments are starting to annoy me already…
- Is Mai a chuunibyou, well before Chuu2Koi (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai) was animated by KyoAni…?
- *poorly attempts to wolf whistle* I’d drag myself through CGDCT hell if it meant being paid appropriately…in female-gazey shots like these.
- Onoma…wha? Update: The title of the episode is Mamonotachi no Sayokyoku ~serenade~, so I would assume the phrase is “mamonogari”. Also, this episode was partially brought to you by Yutaka Yamamoto…y’know, Yamakan, he who starts arguments.
- These 1st person shots betray Kanon’s origins as a visual novel…(Did I say that already…?) Update: I said one or two comments of that nature for episode 1.
- “…all the women in the world would be your wife.” – I know Sayuri is downplaying herself, but…what about women who can’t cook?
- I…guess the appeal of a girl like Mai is getting her to talk? I mean, that’s what people think about me when I don’t have anything to say.
- Wait, why are you asking a girl about sausages, Yuichi??? (Do you know exactly how much innuendo that implies???)
- I didn’t notice this until this episode, but Sayuri speaks in 3rd person (in the subs).
- “You can call me ‘Shiori’.” – Well, it’s not like Yuichi has much of a choice in the matter anyway… (snarking)
- “…do you want to make a snowman?” – I went “Oh f***” at this point, because I know at the time of Kanon’s airing, Frozen is still years away from existing in people’s consciousness as a meme.
- *Makoto mentions tofu* – I just remembered a weird quote from Boueibu: “I love tofu. You can kill a man with it!” (I love that quote. It’s so random out of context.)
- Were porn mags so unknown in 2006…? Why are you trusting a girl with your porn mags, Yuichi???
- Is there something in the-*Mai’s sword goes “clang!”* Makoto, you scared me…
- Mai’s too darn soft-spoken…
- How could anyone forget such a weird response as “uguu”…?
- “Nothing tastes good when you’re crying.” – Doesn’t ice cream taste better when you’re crying…?
- “Do you love your mom?” – Oh dear. (Aside from the obvious Okaasan Online series jokes I could make about this question,) does this imply Ayu was impacted by divorce and had to live away from her mother…? Update: We do find out her mother died in this episode.
- That lone cloud…it might just be the presence of Ayu speaking, but it sort of looks like a taiyaki.
- *sees episode title* Diver-what now…?…Okay, divertimento. These are fancy music words I never saw in my days as a pianist.
- Who plays with fireworks in the middle of winter…? (…Makoto does, apparently.)
- Eh? Yuichi has a hobby? Blasphemy! (I’m joking, obviously.)
- Akiko is kinda evil at times…planning special things for Yuichi when he wants to stay home and work on his bonsai…
- To be honest with you…I’ve gotten used to skipping little atmospheric bits of Kanon already. Reading all the subs for these conversations is a bit boring, because it’s mostly the same at this point.
- “donguri” (on the rolled newspaper Yuichi holds) – LOL, an acorn? Why would you call your company “Acorn”?
- …jobs aren’t so easy to get as they are in anime…*sigh*
- Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star were around this time, right? No wonder some of the expressions remind me of Mikuru from the one Mikuru OP/episode (you know the one – the “Mikuru beam” one that comes up in AMQ a lot) or Konata.
- Considering the demon hunting…could Shiori be a wandering ghost, perhaps…?
- “Uguu” is just “uguu”, no matter how you slice it…I guess the pronunciation of the sound is how it differs…Update: Went back and watched with volume (I sort of skimmed over it) and…that’s exactly how it works.
- Falling asleep during an interview? I thought that was Nayuki’s thing, not Makoto’s…
- Also, remember how I thought Major Fail Kitagawa reminded me of someone in the last post? I must’ve somehow crossed either the dad (Akio Furukawa) or Sunohara from Clannad over with the Persona Kitagawa in my head (or something like that)…I mean, the surnames are kinda similar.
- I like how Yuichi put Shiori and Mai’s comments into his own speech to Nayuki.
- So Makoto (inadvertently) admits she did the miso soup prank…Miso soup has a very strong smell, y’know.
…yeah, aside from the Makoto and Yuichi interactions growing on me a little, I already admitted to Zenith that this series is a bit of a drag. It’s starting to show signs of picking up in episode 6, but I don’t think it’s going to raise much goodwill from my end, really.