Note: While I was looking for confirmation on something early on in this round of #ATW, I found out Shiori is Kaori’s sister (Jon had to catch me on that)…that seems to happen a lot with #ATW, since it happened with Perfect Insider as well. Thus, less stuff in these episodes surprised me than it could have.
- Oratorio…? Update: the kanji for “oratorio” have the character for “holy” among them…hmm.
- “off-season bear attack” – I was browsing Twitter prior to this ATW…and ARB somehow made itself relevant here with the event that dropped yesterday, LOL. (Bottom left is from that event.)
- “…we must think of the future and not the past.” – Good advice for 2020.
- The usual saying is that fools don’t catch colds.
- “…she is…like my mother!” – …wuh? This does confirm, however, Ayu’s mother is sick, possibly dying (like…almost all the other characters in this series).
- I didn’t quite understand what a “retort” was in this case, but it turns out to be a vacuum-sealed bag, to my understanding. I didn’t think those had names. (Rice soup normally means okayu = congee, but the first Google hit I got on “rice soup” just had a chuuka (Chinese) soup with rice in it…)
- …oh yeah. I forgot Japanese students used to have to go to school on Saturdays.
- …what if Shiori has pneumonia or something?
- I’m not sure if the things in the crane game were takoyaki, Gudetama or some similar kind of plushie.
- …this “playing in the snow” montage gives me the feeling Shiori will die soon. (I hate to be a doomsayer, but Mai almost died and Makoto died, so Shiori’s next step should be something similar, at the very least, and that has a high chance of meaning “death”.)
- Never ask a girl how heavy she is…
- A-hah! Okayu!
- The snow looks like ash…how ominous…
- …considering what happened to me in April, I now know that if someone close to me were dying (and it was physically possible to visit them), I’d do the opposite and try to spend as much time with them as possible (…or is that a thing that depends on culture and/or a person’s personality…?). I’m not much of the sociable type, but the one thing I do have in abundance is time.
- Who’s the real love interest here? Shiori or Kaori? (Or even both…?)
- Lieder ohne Worte seems to mean “songs without words”, specifically referring to a piece by Mendelssohn. Update: This is confirmed by how the kanji used mean “song without words”.
- That water animation…KyoAni is based, after all. (Then you think about Violet Evergarden and it pales in comparison…LOL.)
- …is it just me not remembering, or did Shiori never tell Yuichi her birthday? (If this was the case, then that came out of left field a bit.)
- Ayu-Yuichi banter isn’t as good as Makoto-Yuichi banter…probably because the latter is quite physical and slapstick.
- The quotes don’t seem to be from anywhere in particular, but they’re kind of scary…and appropriate, given the bombshell we were given last episode.
- I get this sinking feeling in my stomach that Shiori and Yuichi’s relationship is much like Yuki and Tohru’s (Fruits Basket) – if you know that series’s endgame, you’ll know what I mean.
- “Man, you’re easy.” – I know I shouldn’t have thought this since it’s likely the Japanese doesn’t have such a meaning to it, but “you’re easy” can mean “you’re easy (to please)” or “you’re easy (to get into bed (<- sexual connotations))”…LOL (?)
- Shaft headti-okay, I’m kidding.
- That rainbow light from the lamp…that’s nice.
- Come to think of it…there aren’t any Japanese houses in sight. Only the Western ones. That’s probably one reason why something like this took off back in the day – the mukokuseki of it all (i.e. the fact you can’t detect this is Japanese by nature).
- Hyakkaya (I would assume that means “hundred flowers store”)? Is that the store where Shiori had ice cream?
- While Yuichi confronted Kaori, I noticed there was a hair salon called ZION in the background…LOL.
- Oh wait, this is the store that provided the anteater, isn’t it?
- I noticed after a certain point, we haven’t seen Ayu with her winged backpack all that much.
- Adagio = slow in Italian (I don’t speak the language, but I do know it from my days learning piano). I would also assume this word applies to certain pieces which are slow.
- You can tell roughly what part of Kanon you’re at when you see certain places. For instance, the stairwell spot is Sayuri and Mai’s, while the cafeteria seems to be Shiori’s hangout spot.
- So I was right about Hyakkaya.
- …Should I give Kitagawa his “Fail” status back…? (lel)
- LOL, why don’t we get this dancing GIF more often? (Whenever you think about anime dancing GIFs, you get the Kyoukai no Kanata ED, but not this one…*droops*)
- “…Shiori is…my little sister!” – Aww. That’s cute, to see they acknowledge each other.
- …yikes. That got dark fast.
- What happens when you can no longer go to the cafeteria?
- Come to think of it, why don’t they ever really show Yuichi trying to heal from anything? They show him being reminded of Makoto and he visited Mai, but he never seems to sit and stew in his feelings about them…maybe he’s not that kind of person…(?)
- …I thought Shiori wasn’t good with warm foods…
- North Country Coffee. So she got a drink…not any food.