If it’s not specified, the time period covered in this post is from the 22nd of March 2021 to the 19th of April 2021.
Other People’s Reads
It wouldn’t be a round-up post without them. However, since I scour people’s archives on a regular basis, these may not even be from the right time period…
(Gonna cut it down to 5 posts this time because I’m still building up the backlog. I guess it’s safe to say I’ve hit a real slump in my blogging – lately, when I look back at my posts, I immediately think enthusiasm is missing from a lot of them and that puts me into a weird headspace I’m still trying to work my way out of, as you can tell from the bottom of the post last month. Also, I’m running out of posts in my folder, despite my best efforts, so if you have any, be sure to send them my way.)
- Promare: The Flexer of Anime by Claire the Critic – I have basically no doubt that “flexing” as a verb for showing off will go out of style one day, but the title’s proposition really makes you think: What was this movie made for?
- In My View: Why Do I Like Trashy Anime? by Cameron (Iniksbane) – I like Akudama Drive, but subtlety is not its strong suit, to the point where I would dock it for such a thing. Thus, seeing Iniksbane speak so highly of it almost makes me re-evaluate my own position on the anime.
- TV Anime, A Deadly Landscape for High-Profile Productions by kViN (Sakuga Blog) – Sk8 and Wonder Egg Priority were two anime that stood out for their production, but even they were plagued by problems and ended up with a recap episode partway through…
- Collecting Individual Manga Volumes vs. Omnibus Editions by Simpleek – Now this is a topic I remember thinking was unique when I stumbled upon this post a while back – it’s an issue manga collectors have, but nobody talks about.
- Land of the Lustrous episode 7 recap and review — Working through a Winter Wonderland by Mori Mole – More than anything, the stream of consciousness-style and miscellaneous notes are of interest here – who are you, and why have you stolen my simulcast commentary format?
(I’m kidding, okay…?)I’ve picked out episode 7 because the snark in the image captions is more than worth it, but also because it’s a pivotal point in this anime.
#AniTwitWatches (Shin Sekai Yori)
- Eps 1 – 2
- Eps 3 – 4 (no post)
- Eps 5 – 7 (coming soon!)
Spring 2021 First Impressions (see below for more details)
- Back From the Vault (Shaman King, The World Ends With You, Hetalia World Stars, Fruits Basket the Final, SSSS. Dynazenon)
- Catering to the Niche Crowd (i.e. Me) (Fairy Ranmaru, Blue Reflection Ray, Bishonen Tanteidan…plus one more anime which has not been decided yet) (coming soon!)
- The Write Process
- Ode to Anime Studios – Silver Link/Connect
- What To Look Out For in Fairy Ranmaru
- Turn a Blind Eye –
April Fool’s post, introducing my original characters Kyousuke, Hazuki and Enya.
- Hyping Up Spring 2021
- Rating All the #AniTwitWatches Anime
- Trying to Find One Anime to Represent You is Too Hard!
- Promare: It’s a shame this anime’s soundtrack isn’t on Spotify, because I wanted to google the song names as soon as I heard them! Inferno, in particular, really grabbed my attention – it’s very much an “anime theme song” in every sense of the word, except for the fact it’s sung in (…mostly correct) English.
- Fairy Ranmaru: I already admit in the upcoming first impressions post this anime is a bit of a weird one to be attached to, but aside from my basically being the only advocate for this series to ever exist on the internet aside from the actual staff, I’m intrigued about what could be going on under the surface. After all, they set up a bunch of rules in the first episode and it seems like they’re going to break every single one of them by the time the anime is over…
Coming up next…
- Haven’t forgotten the spring 2020, summer 2020 or winter 2021 wrap-up…it’s just massively delayed, as noted. I’ve only finished Arte, Fugou Keiji, Appare-Ranman, Sk8, Bungo Stray Dogs Wan! and Koi to Producer as I type this, which is why I haven’t put them out yet. If you’re wondering why I haven’t worked on it for months…it’s over 100 episodes total and gets bigger every week, even if I hit pause on some stuff. I am finally making a dent in Fruits Basket as of the time of writing this post up, though, which is not something I’ve been able to say in months past.
- Due to these old posts being overdue and being up to a year old, I’m not going to start on a lot of the new spring anime until either a) the anime club watches something I was planning to watch anyway (which is…always a lot, I’ve come to notice) or b) I’ve put out one of the posts (winter 2021 is probably next, considering that’s the smallest amount of episodes I have left on my spreadsheet…it’s still 34 out of 140+ episodes, so it could be a while until it’s out). To be honest, I was tempted to spend on a CR subscription due to Fairy Ranmaru, but 1) the CR interface (for both anime and manga) has never been the most cooperative thing for me and paying them money is not likely to fix it and 2) because I’m so behind as it stands, bringing down that paywall would only make me more behind.