Here we go again!
To be honest, there’s a bit to be nervous about…first of all, real life caught up to me, so I’m a few episodes behind with Spy x Family. Secondly, I’m going to cut myself off from Funimation come early October, so summer is my last (legal) chance to watch stuff that isn’t doubled up on Crunchyroll. That means I’m probably going to panic-watch something if I can…assuming other stuff doesn’t sabotage those plans…(Apparently there are huge staff shortages at work, due to a bunch of events converging on the economic worth of things.)
Real-life concerns aside most of the stuff this time is mostly question marks or sequels I can’t touch without going back to season 1, so I’m just going to list out anything with any sort of promise right now (minus any Netflix and Disney Plus content – I’d have watched 2022 Spriggan and Bastard if I had legal access to them).
- Hataraku Maou-sama!!: The biggest ticket this season is one of my all-time favourites – and I have looked ahead at the LNs. People are going to be polarised by not only the kinda-new artstyle, but more importantly the new character. (…I…guess it doesn’t help Paripi Koumei started as basically placeholder Hataraku for me… *sweatdrops*)
- Phantom of the Idol: …uh, is it just me or am I getting behind all the weird HiDive licences that involve singing (but not beating the meat)? Am I stereotyping myself here or is it just the kinda pretty boys? Regardless of what answer you come to, Phantom of the Idol is the anime that kickstarted this post because it came early, much like Paripi Koumei (possibly due to advance screenings by Abema again) and you will get thoughts on it Soon (TM). The full story: I spotted a series called Kami Kuzu Idol via wandering around looking for ways to obtain Hypnosis Mic‘s Fling Posse and Matenrou manga legally (both serialise in the josei magazine Monthly Zero Sum) and added it to the AniList database because I thought it would be interesting to come back and read – AniList archives submissions now, including the date, so that was done on the 8th of August 2019. Fast forward about 2 years and…it gets licensed in English, under the name Phantom of the Idol, alongside one of my other previously-JPN-only manga, WanDance! Yeah! Then skip another few months and it gets an anime! Huzzah!
- Hoshi no Samidare/Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer: You remember how I liked Planet With? That was only a warm-up. Here’s the real deal.
- Tokyo Mew Mew New: I haven’t seen the original – yet another case of magical girl lockout (*sigh*) – but if this is a reboot rather than a sequel, you bet I’m going for it. How does it go? “We’ve got style and we’ve got grace! Mew mew power, in your face!”…or something like that *sweatdrops*. (<- only knows about that by reading about it)
- Bucchigire!/Shine On! Bakumatsu Bad Boys: Bishonen bait *raises eyebrows*.
- Yurei Deco: This could be the hacking anime I’ve been waiting for.
- Isekai Ojisan: This one seems to have a bit of promise.
- My Isekai Life: It looks a little like The Second Coming of Seiya (from Shinchou Yuusha), but I won’t be too annoyed if it ends up being stock-standard.
Be sure to ask about anything I haven’t listed in the comments, because this list is…sadly kinda short(?)