Noting how much I’ve got backlogged, I’m probably going to sit this one out entirely.
If we count the rewatches (+ Kekkai Sensen and Beyond) and this upcoming week’s ATW (2 eps) from the post I linked in the intro (as of the time of writing) plus the fact I attempted to watch Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya during the period of the 17th of December to Boxing Day (but failed) (1 ep of over 2 hours long), I’ve got 142 eps on the spreadsheet, hence why I’m sitting it out. I’m not gonna be like fall 2021 and start, only to not finish in a timely manner.
However, just for future reference – because I am missing the usual season beginning post for summer 2021 and it seems a bit weird to be missing one – I’ll document this to come back to later.
From most – least hype:
- Saiyuki Reload Zeroin: Basically a shoo-in for the top after the success of Saiyuki Reload Blast back in 2017. I was about to kiss it goodbye on this list because of the licensing to Sentai Filmworks – I was considering giving my money to HiDive as a way of flipping the bird at Funimation for taking away my sublicensor, but realised the number of shows behind the paywall isn’t worth it unless I have the disposable income to do so and recently, I’ve closed my wallet up again due to 1) attempts to use international shipping which went slightly over budget on the most recent attempt and 2) gaining some financial goals I want to achieve…if I ever get the means to gain money on my own terms for it. That said, another way to flip the bird at Funimation is sailing the high seas, which is how this entry wormed its way back on.
- Requiem of the Rose King: This took out my fall 2021 list before it was revealed to have been pushed back, so I’m crossing my fingers the final product is good.
- Sabikui Bisco: Mushrooms? Crabs??? This anime sounds like Parasect: the Action Dystopian Anime (yes, the Pokemon). If anything, if it bombs in my eyes, I can at least foresee an extreme potential to use Crab Rave when discussing it, haha.
- Vanitas no Carte Part 2: I haven’t caught up with part 1, since after fall I put a self-imposed ban on starting anything I couldn’t finish and never started anything from summer 2021 in the first place. That said, I’ve been interested in Vanitas for a while, even though I don’t know much about Pandora Hearts.
- Delicious Party PreCure: Healin’ Good being on my docket is one of the main reasons I fell behind in the first place, so I’m hesitant to take on a new one, plus there’s not a lot of detail on it right now. You know magical girls are a shoo-in for the list, especially now PreCure has gotten enough attention to be licensed and subbed legally on the English side.
- Orient: Typically, the whole “shonen” label would be enough to win me over. I am now older, wiser and more cynical than I used to be, though, plus I have no guarantee from Magi the original mangaka did anything good, so that lands it in the “please win me over” section of the list.
- Tokyo 24th Ward: I was genuinely excited for this, but as of recently, suddenly stuff don’t look too good…
- Sasaki and Miyano: Anything promising a return to something akin to Given is good.
- In the Land of Leadale: I’m sort of cautious about this – the description on Random Curiosity seems sort of sexist (I mean, why can’t women have the power fantasy? Why do they always have to be healers???) and makes it sound “out of my lane” (plus I also skipped The Saint’s Magic Power is Omnipotent due to the aforementioned ban on starting things I can’t finish, which doesn’t help the comparison Freeman makes) but I’d love to be proven wrong on this.
- Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc: Since I haven’t caught up and wasn’t very gung-ho on Mugen Train, my excitement for this is waning…
- Koroshi Ai: A last-minute addition to the list I almost passed up because it didn’t really appeal to me (Chateau Dankworth? As a spy codename…? *falls over laughing*), but I do trust Eva’s judgement on this.
- My Dress-up Darling/Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru: Ecchi is always something that makes me hesitate and lately the entire romance genre has been losing its appeal (see the update post linked at the start for more on that), but I saw reviews of the manga that gave this series enough praise that I’d be willing to give it a shot anyway…
- Kuroitsu-san from the Monster Development Department: In it for Ume, as per usual.
- Tribe Nine: Extreme baseball? Nah. However, there is one player that perks my interest outside of the usual suspects and that’s Yukihiro Nozuyama…You know, that guy who voices Dice in HypMic. This is the first time I’ve seen him in a capacity that doesn’t involve that series, which could be the stepping stone to a much bigger, more successful career for him than before.
- Link Click: Yes, this is getting its own section. It’s a Chinese production I’m excited about for the premise and buzz I’ve gathered from the server but never started, which is getting a Japanese dub this season, but on a list where I could very well pass over it all over again…now you get why I needed a separate section for it?
Two reasons I decided to knock this post out instead of passing on it like I did in summer 2021 are 1) bringing a return to blogging normalcy, of sorts (as stated above), and 2) because of my time away and state of being behind on previous simulcasts, even the top of the list can come off as rather weak in the moment (and Sabi-iro no Armour, which I was looking forward to for Masuda’s sake until I saw the visuals… *nervous sweats* yeah, nah).