Thanks to Phoenix for the tag.
Rules of the Peer Pressure Tag Post
- Link back to the creator, which is Random Thoughts of My Fandoms.
- Provide a link to the person who tagged you.
- Answer all questions honestly.
- Come up with 5 questions of your own. (4 have to be about peer pressure; 1 can be random and about whatever)
- Tag at least 10 people and provide links to their blogs. Please no “you!”
- Recommend at least 5 books or songs you see everywhere/are very popular that you’ve read or listened to.
- Use the hashtag #peer pressure tag for easier visibility
- What’s the best result you’ve had from doing something because peer pressure? (I.E. made new friends, discovered a new TV show, etc)
I take on pretty much anyone’s recommendations, provided I don’t already have an opinion on them already because I tried it before they recommended it and they didn’t know I’d done so. Obviously, this has mixed results, but I distinctly remember Yuri!!! on Ice was a hyped anime I checked out at the time of simulcasting and didn’t regret (I’m still waiting on Ice Adolescence, though…).
- What’s the worst result you’ve had from doing something because of peer pressure? (If it’s really bad, skip this.)
I don’t generally like all the “big series” people try to pressure me into taking on, so I don’t cave to it all that much…when you have a bias against series like Haikyuu, Naruto and Bleach, you just learn to deal with these things. I think the worst thing would be trying two of the series I just mentioned (manga) and then dropping them a chapter or less into them. Just because it’s popular doesn’t mean it always deserves the hype.
- During your time online, blogging or not, what’s the best case of peer pressure going well that you’ve seen/experienced?
When I see forums set up for recommendations (e.g. the AniList forums) and there’s a thread that’s titled badly (see, for instance, this thread, which I wasn’t sure if it was asking for recommendations or giving them and I had to ask the original poster that question), it will get immediately bombed with recommendations. If the asker is specific enough, then they’ll walk away happy, but if they’re too specific (see, for instance, this thread I made asking for manga like Given, which required the answerer to know the imprint the manga was licensed under), then some margin of error has to be allowed for…which is a basic sin of all internet recommendation threads, come to think of it.
- If you have a funny story involving peer pressure, can you share it here? (If not, give advice on dealing with peer pressure)
I don’t have a funny story, so…uh…make up your own mind about things, regardless of what hype will bug you with. Spoilers are one thing, but your mind can only handle so much before it has to remove something, so you can eventually go into something fresh, even if you were spoiled at first. On that front, things can (generally) wait for you, so don’t let people choose stuff for you if that’s not what you want.
- (Random question) What is a video that lives in your head rent free? Link it in this post.
This video. Only watched it a few months back, but the rest of the fanmade videos on HypMic are either lyric translation videos (self-explanatory), meme videos (example), seiyuu-focussed (such as today I offer you Shintaro Asanuma’s range) or ARB gameplay/story translation videos (the former of which aren’t necessary due to the items called “autoplay cassettes”, and the latter are only necessary when I want to confirm details, because once a story part is unlocked and you get 50 gems or an SR card from it, you can go back to it – and skip it all, and confirm whatever phrases/vocab – whenever). This video inspired me to write up my own intro to the series just before the anime came out.
Books, huh?…Okay, why not I do “5 manga from my Paused list”? You occasionally hear about my reading list and my completed list, but my Paused list? Not really, because that’s where a lot of my manga go to die…
- 12 Nin no Yasashii Koroshiya (I’ve only read the Leo one in any capacity, but there seem to be Aries and Libra ones as well)
- 7th Garden (licensed by Viz Media)
- Kirikagohime to Mahoutsukai (has a digital release by Kodansha Comics)
- ID: INVADED #BRAKE BROKEN (has a release by Yen Press)
- Otomen (licensed by Viz Media)
- How do you cope with peer pressure?
- A blogging friend of yours is pressuring you to watch/read (etc.) something you don’t like which they like and, because they’re passionate about it, they don’t seem to notice they’re putting pressure on you. How do you react?
- What’s the most random place you consider peer pressure to come from?
- What’s the most random thing you’ve tried due to peer pressure?
- (random question) Which series, which doesn’t already have a spinoff movie, would you like to have a spinoff movie and what would this hypothetical movie be about if you could write and/or direct it? (I’m sure everyone has an idea or two about this question…)
- Iniksbane (In Search of No 9)
- Irina (I Drink and Watch Anime)
- Voyager (Galvanic Team…if you do this stuff)
- K at the Movies
- Derek (again, if you do this stuff)
- Karandi (100 Word Anime)
- Elle/Chizurue (Of Midnight Ravings)
Update: Turns out you have to answer a set of questions everyone answers and then a set of questions unique to your nomination. I only did half of that before publishing…oops. (Too late for that now, but that means whoever’s nominated can either 1) choose to go back to Phoenix’s for everyone’s questions or 2) just answer my set…Your choice, people.)