Page jumps are geting harder to wrangle as the editor continues to evolve, so I’m skipping them and changing my posts to match. I’ve also started linking where you can see the anime yourself, although that may only apply to certain regions.
The previous post contained:
- Get Up! Get Live! (TV short)
- Misfit of Demon King Academy
- Healin’ Good PreCure (ongoing from winter)
- Lapis Re:Lights
This post contains:
- God of High School
- Muhyo and Roji’s BSI s2 (one reason I’m behind on seasonals is because I was watching s1)
- Fruits Basket s2 (continuing, starting from ep. 14)
The next post will contain:
- No Guns Life s2
- Mr Love: Queen’s Choice
- Super HxEros (…okay, I’ll explain this illogical-seeming choice when we get there.)
Extra Olympia Kyklos (…thought about it and it’s wrapping up in 2 – 3 weeks anyway, making it a poor choice for seasonal viewing)
Held over from spring, and still taking up spots:
- Millionaire Detective (won’t show up for me until about Aug. 6)
- Appare-Ranman! (won’t show up for me until about Jul. 30)
- Idolish7 s2 (no idea when it’s going to show)
Just for my reference, these still need to be finished for a spring wrap-up post to be released:
- Bakarina (eps 2 – 12)
- Wave (eps 3 – 12)
- Sing Yesterday for Me (eps 2 – 12)
- Fruits Basket s2 (eps 8 – 13)
God of High School (ep 1)
See it on Crunchyroll. (Also read the Webtoon.)
This is the first Webtoon-based series I’m covering. I passed on Tower of God based on what I heard about the art sucking, but then it and Bakarina basically went on to dominate the spring season…welp, you can’t pick all the hits, especially when consistent releases are sparse and unpredictable in this time.
I linked the Webtoon because I heard the series is nothing but an extended fight scene, so I was wondering how it could pull off an introduction. Crunchyroll had a link to it anyway, so I went, “*shrugs* Why not?” The only differences I’ve seen from ch. 1, aside from fleshing out the backgrounds, are that creepy skull (?) on the wall and the initial fight with the blonde announcer dude being cut.
Anyways, I liked it more than I thought I would. Mori is basically Goku (or Luffy, if I were to agree from someone in the Webtoon comments) and I think the characters aren’t gonna get a whole lot of development, but if that’s what people want, that’s what they’re gonna get *shrugs*.
- You can tell it’s Korean when I don’t understand what the text says (this is Japanese-dubbed, but they left the Korean text in). That means…I dunno how Korean names work. Is Mori Jin’s first name “Mori” or “Jin”? I checked it up, and I got even more confused!..Okay, the wiki says his first name is “Mori”.
- Turns out those aren’t “glasses” on Mori’s head…they’re a sleeping mask.
- Kamina glasses!
- They put CR and Webtoon advertising over everything in this anime…geesh.
- These red parts of people’s noses are gonna bug me, aren’t they…?
- There’s Japanese, English and Korean in the afro dude’s comments.
- KORG Arena seems to be…from Marvel? Like BnHA references Star Wars???
- *sigh* Moonbucks? Again?
Muhyo and Roji’s Bureau of Supernatural Investigation s2
See it on Funimation and AnimeLab.
I remember a big chunk of the middle, before all the Enchu stuff ramps up again, is focussed on Goryo, so it could take an entire season to cover that stuff or it could just take several episodes…it’s been a while since I read the manga. Obviously I read it when I had less of a preference in bishonen and…if you’ve read enough of my posts, you know where this is going right?
Yep, that’s right: I think Goryo is (a jerkass but also) hugely pretty, to the point where I kind of understand why the subbers misgendered him in one line.
- Where does Nana work again…?
- Notably, Roji wouldn’t have had a smartphone in 2004 (or whatever year close to that when the manga put this bit out).
- Goryo (5) vs Muhyo (6). Didn’t figure this out at the time I read the manga.
- Okay, whose bright idea was it to pair Now on Air (female vocalists) with Muhyo and Roji’s (a series dominated with dudes)…?
- Ah, Funimation is on the production team of this anime. That would explain the dub rights.
Fruits Basket (ep 39/s2 ep 14)
See it on Funimation (dub only), AnimeLab (dub only) and Crunchyroll.
I’m going to do something unprecedented to catch up: I’ll skip eps 8 – 13 and double back later. I should know what happens in between anyway, but as I’m typing this, it’s the last day of debuts for me, several 2nd episodes have come out and I procrastinated on the studio post, so all that’s starting to stress me out…the best cure for that is to get to work, so I shall.
This episode focuses on Haru and Rin, but to a lesser extent also Yuki, Kyo and Tohru. If you’ve seen the previous season and the previous cour, you shouldn’t have any trouble with this.
- I thought “I should just die…” was a Ritsu line, for sure.
- From colour images, I seem to remember Katsuya had brown hair…hmm…
- Obviously, “180” is in cm.
- I think it was Ayame’s name meant “violet”…? Or was it “iris”?
- This ED’s really nice.
Deca-Dence (ep 1)
See it on Funimation and AnimeLab.
This anime has a grand sense of scale, more so than anything…well, it did before it swerved into cartoonish territory. I’m also intrigued by how the Gear technology is meant to work – it’s mostly them hopping around everywhere with their air propulsion (?) equipment in the forcefields…or something like that. That doesn’t mean this show is confusing though – quite the opposite, and that’s a good thing.
- These eyecatches are like the second coming of Death Parade! Yay!…Actually, “stoic dude” and “expressive girl”…that’s also a Death Parade thing.
- They’re not just harpoons, they’re blood-sucking harpoons!
- H-Huh? What was that last scene?! Did this become a Cartoon Network show?!?…well, for the most part, I’m sold on it.
Using the system from last time:
- Keep a 7th show in place in case the others get delayed. If the conditions below are met, add more accordingly, but use backlog for any other positions.
- If half the shows that make it (i.e. 3 shows) are affected by delays, introduce an 8th show. (Most of the delays are actually “booting down the road for fall” and/or have occurred already, so most of my summer picks should be in the clear.)
- If all shows bar those already known to have wrapped up production safely (none so far) have delays, introduce a 9th show.
- If any shows come back from postponement, pause the backup that gives the least satisfaction – generally this will be an anime that hasn’t ever made the top 6 in consistent weekly rankings, so I’ll need some to make my decision with.
Saving the spots for the spring anime leaves me with a maximum of 6 possible spots to be filled…and it seems like they’re filling pretty fast, so it’s time to start cutting down.
- God of High School (1 ep)
- Deca-Dence (1 ep)
- No Guns Life s2 (1 ep, see other post for impressions)
- Healin’ Good PreCure (4 eps)
- Fruits Basket s2 (8 eps, but got to go back for eps 8 – 13)
- Muhyo and Roji’s BSI s2 (1 ep)
- Super HxEros (1 ep, see other post for impressions)
- Misfit of Demon King Academy (1 ep)
- Get Up! Get Live! (2 eps, TV short)
- Lapis Re:Lights (1 ep)
So did I pass on anything good? For a refresher on the hype list, see this (even though it is slightly outdated due to COVID-19-related developments).