If it’s not specified, the time period covered in this post is from the 22nd of June 2020 to the 20th of July 2020.
Other People’s Reads
It wouldn’t be a round-up post without them. However, since I scour people’s archives on a regular basis, these may not even be from the right time period…
I feel like I haven’t had many new bloggers to introduce lately, so I went further afield. (By that, I mean I dug into my folder of over 600 bookmarks to read later, as opposed to the “posts for when you leave the round-up to the last minute” folder, which is mostly full of the same bloggers and references for later posts.)
- A Million Anime to Pick Next: How to Choose What to Watch by Pinkie – I’ve linked part 1 because this is a 2 parter, but I don’t think I’ve seen too many posts comparing the upsides and downsides of each method.
- Otaku Collection Haul from June 2020 by NormanicGrav (The Normanic Vault) – Who doesn’t love a good haul post? These posts aren’t just limited to anime, manga and light novels (the posts I’ve seen have Asian cinema in them as well), but they do contain upcoming release details for certain items, as they apply to those who live in the UK.
- Prince of Stride: Alternative Season 1 Review by Wren – This blogger is fairly new to the scene, so let’s welcome them! As for the anime in question, it’s fun and fits the summer mood (and from the sheer amount of times I mention Kyousuke, I’ve obviously watched it…twice, in fact).
- Growing Up in Spirited Away (Original Work, Studio Ghibli) by Ritvik (Animatopoeia!) – Whether you’re a Ghibli fan or not (although as of late, he has expanded to non-Ghibli works, he did start with them), it’s undeniable that Ritvik has a way with words, themes and quotes.
- Another Geek’s Success is Not Your Failure: How to Take Your Joy Back by Megan (A Geeky Gal) – It’s easy to navel-gaze in these times and even easier to lose yourself in negativity. If that’s the case, you might need to work through these tips from Megan.
- Where Are the Shoujo Anime? by ThatRandomEditor – This is rare: I couldn’t really think of an answer for this. I’m sure there’s a reason why shoujo isn’t as popular as the other genres, though.
- First Impressions: Rokuhoudou Youtsiro Biyori by LeTheSomething
(…okay, that’s their blog name, but I don’t know what the blogger’s name is)– …because why would I miss a chance to mention Rokuhoudou?
- [Anime Review|Short Essay] Given & Short “Ad” Anime by Anna (Persephone Syndrome) – This is surprisingly novel…as in, I don’t know why it hasn’t been done before: anime from an animator’s (and shonen-ai fan’s) perspective. (Also see below.)
- How I Write Reviews – Sorting My Thoughts & Airing My Feelings from Steph (Two Happy Cats) – Behind-the-scenes peeks are always cool and welcome back, Steph!
- Yuu is the moral centre of Girls’ Last Tour by Iniksbane (In Search of Number 9) – This time, we end on something heavy. If anything this lofty makes sense when reading blog posts at 1 am (
yes, I left my round-up post to the last minute again… why do you ask?),it must be celebrated, I say.
#AniTwitWatches (Perfect Insider/Rolling Girls)
The day this post goes out will be the day the post on eps. 3 – 4 goes live.
- #AniTwitWatches Round 6: The Perfect Insider 9
- #AniTwitWatches Round 6: The Perfect Insider 10 – 11
- #AniTwitWatches Round 7: Rolling Girls 1 – 2
Summer 2020 First Impressions
- Summer 2020 First Impressions: It’s All a Bit Muddled (Lapis Re:Lights, Misfit of Demon King Academy, Healin’ Good PreCure, Get Up! Get Live!)
- Summer 2020 First Impressions: A Supernatural Summer (God of High School, Muhyo and Roji’s BSI s2, Fruits Basket s2, Deca-Dence) (coming soon!)
Hmm? There’s more manga content than usual, now that I look at this lineup…
- 10 Anime I’m Excited for in 2020 – Basically half a summer 2020 redux, half fall 2020.
- Ode to Anime Studios – David Production
- Why I Blog For Myself
- Why Read Manga? – Despite the title, it is a reply to a post which encourages anime-only watchers to read (more?) manga and not me imploring you to watch more manga, although by replying, I hope you do read more manga…
yeah, by saying all of that, I just make the post sound confusing, haha.
- Anime and Manga Budget Buys – My contribution to the OWLS con.
- The “Underrated” Paradox (Or, How to Discover Rare Gems in Manga)
- Given: Seen the anime already and the movie got a boot to August due to COVID-19, but when I picked up the first volume of the manga after a day that started off fine and then nosedived, it helped me to perk back up. The character pages are of particular interest, because it reminded me of the fact I like imagining character “pages” when writing fiction…saying anything else would be torture to Lita, who I did get into a bit of a discussion with at one point regarding this manga…so I shall abstain from saying more for the moment.
- Chibi Tamago: After having to deal with the wrath of Shineek (admin of Chibi Tamago) again, to the point where he started having a “at least one entry per raid week” rule – in previous raids, I’ve only managed one entry per raid (about 2 or 3 weeks) so this was not fine. He and I (amicably) disagree on pretty much everything and he’d never mentioned how to leave the game until I asked him, so it was a bit of a sticky situation for a few hours. In a sense though, I’m glad I left – raids are super stressful and I join things to finish what’s on my list, not start more! (Why isn’t there a game to clean up started entries? Even so-called “clean up” months for AWC are “start a new show and finish it” affairs…)
- AMQ: Just as I was celebrating, I was forced into lockdown again. One of the only benefits I can see is the return of AMQ.
Coming up next…
- Passed 300 followers without even noticing! Thank you to everyone who’s following and may we stick around for much more than 300.
- Haven’t forgotten the spring 2020 wrap-up…it’s just massively delayed, as noted in the 1st summer post (above). I’ve only finished Arte as I type this (including not being caught up to Fruits Basket), which is why I haven’t put it out yet.
- It’s Gainax this month, Trigger next month and NAZ the month after re: studio posts. Gainax has its own origin story which is unlike most other studios’, as you may have seen from Scott’s OWLS con presentation or the Anime News Network 4-parter, so it’s a bit daunting…that’s why I haven’t tackled the series until I put it into the poll.